01 February 2015

The Only Backpacker - המטייל היחיד

(עברית בהמשך)
"But only God and the swagmen know how a poor man fares Out Back."

I arrived at the mining town Mount Isa knackered after another overnight bus ride. So after checking into the the only backpackers hostel in town, I caught up on my sleep and then went to stock up on food and have a bite to eat.

Rested and fed I decided to check out the local attractions. The main attraction in Isa is the tourist centre complex, which contains a tour of one of the mines (going once per day if numbers suffice), a fossil centre and a local gallery. Since I missed the mine tour by half-an-hour I decided to start with the other tours.

First of all I visited the Riversleigh Fossil Centre, which started with a 15 minute video, narrated by the famous David Attenborough. After exiting the TV room, I walked through a series of reconstructions of prehistoric animals from three time periods found at Riversleigh. To end the tour, I got to peek into the paleontologists' lab and saw on display real fossils and bones as well as comparisons to the modern day counterparts. The reconstructions were a bit nostalgic for me as they reminded of the BBC series "Walking with Dinosaurs" I used to watch when I was younger.

After spending a long time at the centre (the information desk lady's words; I actually thought I breezed by it a bit quickly) I entered the Isa experience gallery. There they had different collections from the mines, including rocks, minerals, polished gemstones and a variety of mining equipment. The gallery also had a door leading out to the Outback Park containing many local plants with an information sign about each one including its uses by the indigenous people. After these two tours I headed back to the hostel hoping there would be enough people for the tour of the mine the next day.

Later that day, just before sunset, I set off to the lookout over the town. There greeted my eyes a familiar sight - a signpost pointing to major cities of the world, just like on Mt Bental! I then enjoyed watching the sunset over the iconic view of the three chimney stacks of Mount Isa.

The next day, unfortunately there were not enough people signed up and the tour of the mine was cancelled. I also discovered that I was the only backpacker in the hostel, the other guests just working in town. So I used the day to wander down Rodeo Drive which commemorates the local heroes, who claimed their fame at the local rodeo in August. Apart from that I just had a relaxing time the rest of my stay in Isa, cooling down in the pool, sleeping, reading and watching the Asian Cup final (which the Socceroos of course won, and in style) and movies on the hostel's wide-screen TV.

And now I continue inland to the Red Centre of Australia, to visit Alice Springs and its surroundings.



"אבל רק האל והנודדים יודעים איך איש עני מתמודד בערבה."

הגעתי אל עיירת הכרייה מאונט אייזה תשוש אחרי עוד אוטובוס לילה. אז אחרי שנכנסתי לאכסניה היחידה, השלמתי שעות שינה והלכתי לקנות אוכל ולמלא את הבטן המקרקרת.

קצת יותר ערני ושבע החלטתי לחקור את האטרקציות המקומיות. האטרקציה המרכזית באייזה היא מבנה מרכז המבקרים, שמכיל סיור באחת המכרות (שיוצא פעם ביום אם יש מספיק אנשים), מרכז מאובנים וגלריה מקומית. כפי שפספסתי את סיור המכרה בחצי שעה החלטתי להתחיל עם הסיורים האחרים.

ראשית ביקרתי במרכז המאובנים ריברסלי, שהתחיל עם רבע שעה סרט בהנחיית דיויד אטנבורו המפורסם. אחרי שיצאתי מחדר הטלוויזיה, הלכתי דרך סידרת הדמיות של בעלי חיים פרה-היסטוריים שנמצאו בריברסלי. בסיום הסיור זכיתי להצצה למעבדה של הפליאונטולוגים וראיתי מיצג של מאובנים אמיתיים וגם השוואה שלהם לגירסה של ימינו.

אחרי זמן ממושך במרכז (דברי האישה במרכז המידע; לדעתי עברתי קצת בחפזה על המיצגים) נכנסתי לגלריה של אייזה. שם היו אוספים שונים מהמכרות, כולל אבנים, מינרלים, אבני חן ומגוון ציוד כרייה. בגלריה גם הייתה דלת שהובילה לפארק חיצוני בו היו צמחים מקומיים רבים ולכל אחד שלט מידע כולל השימוש בצמח ע"י הילידים. אחרי שני הסיורים האלו חזרתי אל האכסניה בתקווה שיהיו מספיק אנשים לסיור של המכרה ביום הבא.

מאוחר באותו יום, קצת לפני השקיעה, עליתי לנקודת תצפית על העיירה. שם נפגשו עיניי במראה מוכר - שלט המצביע אל עבר ערים מרכזיות בעולם, ממש כמו בהר בנטל! ואז נהנתי לצפות בשקיעה מעל המראה של שלושת הארובות של מאונט אייזה.

ביום למחרת, לצערי לא מספיק אנשים הגיעו והסיור של המכרה בוטל. אני גם גיליתי שאני המטייל היחיד באכסניה, כששאר האורחים פשוט עובדים בעיירה. אז ניצלתי את היום לעבור בדרך הרודיאו המנציח את הגיבורים המקומיים מהרודיאו המקומי שמתרחש כל אוגוסט. חוץ מזה היה לי זמן מנוחה בשאר השהות שלי באייזה: התקררתי בבריכה, ישנתי, קראתי וצפיתי בגמר גביע אסיה (שאוסטרליה כמובן ניצחה ובסטייל) ובסרטים בטלוויזיה הרחבה של האכסניה.

ועכשיו אני ממשיך אל עבר המרכז האדום של אוסטרליה, לבקר באליס ספרינגס ובסביבותיה.

No comments:

Post a Comment