15 December 2014

City on Water - עיר על המים

(עברית בהמשך)

"As the river cuts his path 
Though the river's proud and strong
He will choose the smoothest course
That's why rivers live so long
They're steady
As the steady beating drum"


There is a city built on water and it is excellent for bike riding. I'm not referring to Vienna or to Amsterdam. I'm referring to here, to Melbourne.

A few days ago I borrowed my mate's bike and went for a ride down to the beach. First of all, Melbourne, unlike my beloved Jerusalem, is very flat and not full of mountains and valleys. Secondly, Melbourne is a coastal city and through the city centre flows the Yarra River. It is a city built on the water. And despite this, I have never envisioned Melbourne as a coastal city strongly tied to water. Sydney, yes. Brisbane, yes. Melbourne, for some reason no. I even remember that as a child my great-uncle would take my dad and me boating on the river, but in my memory it seems that we had to travel at least an hour out of the city centre to reach the river.

The ride down to the beach was an amazing experience. There are very clear bike lanes on the road and despite the facts that I have not touched a bike in 7 years and that they drive here on the opposite side of the road, I had no problems. On the way to the beach there is a canal, full of birds and life. As soon as I neared the beach, I felt the sea breeze with all its wondrous scents, which as a Jerusalem boy, were not part of my everyday childhood experience. At the beach I climbed a hill to Point Ormond and I rested with the serenity of the ocean and an enjoyable breeze blowing.

Now that I have walked in the City Centre next to the Yarra River and now that I have biked from my mate's house to the beach, I hope Melbourne will be remembered properly in my mind as the city on water that it is.




"הנהר במסלולו
הוא אדיר, גאה מאד
אך בנתיב שקט יבחר
לכן לנצח הוא ישרוד
יציב הוא
כמו מקצב יציב של תוף"


יש פה עיר בנויה על המים והיא מעולה לרכיבה על אופניים. אני לא מתכוון לוינה או לאמסטרדם. אני מתכוון לפה, למלבורן.

לפני כמה ימים לוותי אופניים מחבר שלי ויצאתי לרכיבה אל החוף. קודם כל, מלבורן, שלא כמו ירושלים אהובתי, היא מאוד מישורית ולא מלאה הרים ועמקים. שנית, מלבורן היא עיר חוף ודרך מרכז העיר עובר נהר היארה. היא עיר הבנויה על המים. ולמרות זאת, אף פעם לא היה לי קונספט של מלבורן כעיר חוף הקשורה למים. סידני כן. בריסבן כן. מלבורן משום מה לא. אני זוכר שכילד דוד של אמא שלי היה יוצא איתי ועם אבי לשיט על הנהר, אבל בזכרוני זה נתפס כיציאה של שעה או יותר מהעיר עצמה בכדי להגיע לנהר.

הרכיבה לחוף הייתה חוויה מדהימה. יש נתיבים מאוד ברורים לאופניים על הכביש, ולמרות שלא נגעתי באופניים ב-7 השנים האחרונות ולמרות שנוהגים פה בצד ההפוך בכביש לא היו לי בעיות. בדרך לחוף יש תעלה, מלאה בציפורים וחיים. ברגע שהתקרבתי לחוף הרגשתי את רוח הים עם כל הריחות המדהימים, שכירושלמי לא היו חלק מחויית הילדות היומיומית שלי. בחוף טיפסתי על גבעה לתצפית אורמונד ונחתי מול שלוות הים עם רוח מרנינה על פניי.

עכשיו שטיילתי בעיר לאורך הנהר ורכבתי על אופניים לחוף, אני מקווה שמלבורן תתפס בזכרוני כעיר על מים.

No comments:

Post a Comment