06 January 2015

City of Beaches - עיר חופים

( עברית בהמשך)
"The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach - waiting for a gift from the sea."

Well my time in Sydney has come to an end and I'm on the move again. I enjoyed my time in this coastal city with the many beaches it has. Unlike Melbourne, it would be extremely difficult not to notice the waters of Sydney, especially as its most famous landmarks are in the harbour.

I stayed in Sydney with a lovely family. Tibby and Betsy and their children Daniel, Michael, Gabriel and Shoshana. They made me feel at home and looked after me as one of their own.

I started my sightseeing with the classics of Sydney: Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Royal Botanic Gardens, Mrs Macquarie's Point as well as the ANZAC Memorial in Hyde Park. The day after my mother's friend took us on an excursion to The Blue Mountains with a stop at the Norman Lindsay Gallery (talk about nostalgia!) on the way back. On New Year's Eve I walked to Rose Bay and then in the evening watched the fireworks from Dumeresq Reserve. The following week I visited Botany Bay (which got its own post) and took a ferry to Manly.

During my stay in Sydney there were also some less fun times, when my travel partner first stood me up when we were going to ferry to Manly and two days later told me he wants to go separate ways. On New Year's Eve! So I had to replan my trip without multi-day hikes and I will most likely delay the New Zealand part to a different trip.

As well as the sightseeing I got to see a lot of beaches, including Bondi, Coodgie, Cronulla, Manly and Shelly. I also got experiences of the ocean which I didn't have growing up in Jerusalem, which is not famous for its coast. I had my first time surf swimming in the ocean, which was quite tolling and more different from pool swimming than I expected. On my last day in Sydney, Michael gave me a basic lesson in surfing. I managed to catch waves lying down, but haven't succeeded yet to make the transition to standing (popping up in surfer's lingo). The feeling when you catch a wave, especially your first one, is so amazing and exhilarating it is hard to describe in words. It really is an experience you have to go through to know how it feels. I'm definitely going to look for more surfing opportunities on the way up the coast.

Now I'm continuing up the coast. Onwards! Northwards! Next stop: Newcastle.



"הים לא מתגמל את מי שלהוט מדי, חמדן מדי, או חסר סבלנות מדי. אדם צריך לשכב ריק, פתוח, נטול בחירה כחוף - מחכה למתנה מהים."

טוב, זמני בסידני הגיע לסיומו ואני שוב בדרכים. נהנתי משהותי בעיר החוף הזאת עם שלל חופיה. שלא כמו מלבורן, קשה מאוד לפספס את המים בסידני, במיוחד כפי האטרקציות המרכזיות של העיר נמצאות בנמל.

התארחתי בסידני אצל משפחה מקסימה. טיבי ובטסי וילדיהם דניאל, מיכאל, גבריאל ושושנה. הם נתנו לי הרגשה של בית ודאגו לי כאחד משלהם.

התחלתי את התיור שלי עם הקלאסיקות של סידני: בית האופרה, גשר הנמל, הגנים הבוטאניים, נקודת התצפית של גברת מקוורי וגם ביקרתי באנדרטה ללוחמי האנזאק בהייד פארק. ביום שאחרי חברה של אימי לקחה אותנו לטיול להרים הכחולים עם עצירה בגלריה של נורמן לינדסי (איזה נוסטלגיה!) בדרך חזרה. בערב השנה החדשה הלכתי אל מפרץ רוז ובערב צפיתי בזיקוקים משמורת דומרסק. בשבוע אחרי ביקרתי במפרץ בוטאני (שקיבל פוסט משל עצמו) ולקחתי מעבורת למנלי.

במהלך שהותי בסידני היו גם זמנים פחות כיפיים, כשחברי למסע קודם הבריז ךי כשהיינו אמורים לקחת מעבורת למנלי ביחד ויומיים אחרי הודיע לי שהוא רוצה שנלך דרכים נפרדות. בערב השנה החדשה! אז הייתי צריך לתכנן מסלול מחדש בלי טרקים ארוכים ואני כנראה אדחה את החלק של ניו זילנד לזמן אחר.

 בנוסף לאטרקציות האלו ראיתי גם חופים רבים, ביניהם בונדיי, קודג'י, קרונאלה, מנלי ושלי. חוויתי גם חוויות בים שלא היו לי בעבר כיליד ירושלים, שלא מפרסמת בזכות החוף שלה. חוויתי לראשונה שחייה בים, שהיה מעייף ושונה במשחייה בבריכה יותר משציפיתי. ביום האחרון שלי בסידני, מיכאל העביר לי שיעור גלישה בסיסי. הצלחתי לתפוס גלים בשכיבה, אבל עוד לא הצלחתי לעבור לעמידה. ההרגשה שאתה תופס גל, במיוחד הראשון, היא כל כך מדהימה ומלהיבה שקשה לתאר אותה במילים. זו היא באמת חוויה שחייבים לעבור כדאי לדעת את הרגשתה. אני בהחלט הולך לחפש עוד הזדמנויות לגלוש במעלה החוף.

 עכשיו אני ממשיך עם החוף. קדימה! צפונה! תחנה הבאה: ניוקאסל.

No comments:

Post a Comment