12 January 2015

Surf's Up! - יש גלים!

( עברית בהמשך )

"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf."

I had an amazing time in Surfers Paradise. The weather (mostly), the people, the surf... All were wonderful.

I arrived at 10 in the morning and was told check-in will only be in 4 hours, but unlike in Canberra where I was threatened to be charged another night if I'd get caught sleeping in the lounge, at Backpackers in Paradise they allocated a place to store my bag and let me use the facilities, such as the kitchen and the pool.

I decided to just walkabout around town, touch base with family and friends and shop for shabbat. While wandering I came across a park dedicated in memory to John Fraser, a second lieutenant who jumped on a mine in order to save the lives of his soldiers. It reminded me very much of the story of Major Roey Klein, an officer of the Golani Brigade in the IDF.

After checking-in I went to try out the pool and there I met my roomates: Chris, Scott and Ben, three Sydneysiders up at Surfers for the weekend. We had a good talk and they were very accepting of my religion and the fact that I wouldn't be doing much on shabbat.

Shabbat itself was a wonderful experience. I went to services at the Gold Coast Hebrew Congregation, a small community servicing the area. After the prayers I was invited for both dinner and lunch at Rabbi Nir's house. I had never been at a meal with so many people and so much delicious food. (Insert obligatory and true comment that my mum's food is still the best in the world). Among the diners, there was the rabbi's family, local members of the community, Aussies on holidays and a couple on honeymoon from Brazil. It was really wonderful and with all the people, food, children and friendly family atmosphere, I felt at home.

The next day it was lightly raining in the morning and I went for my surfing lesson. On the way, one of the blokes I asked for directions from ended his instructions by telling me he's a Collingwood supporter too. The sea was quite choppy and powerful, but that just gave good waves to surf. In the 2-hour lesson they covered a lot, including things not directly related to how to surf, such as dealing with rip currents and bluebottle jellyfish. I can't wait to get on the surfboard again!

Later on in the day, after the lesson, the rain continued, so we all just chillaxed next to and in the pool. During my time in Surfers I got a lot of questions from non-Jews about my kippah. "What's the funny hat on your head?" "Did you hurt your head?" and "Do you have a bald spot you're hiding?" were some of the questions. As I've mentioned before it is quite a difference being away from Israel, where everyone has in the very least a basic understanding of Judaism. This is very much a burst bubble for me.

In the evening the rain really started chucking it down for about an hour straight before it continued raining lightly. The sky's still grey and cloudy, but I hope it'll clear up soon. (EDIT: As I'm writing and approach Brisbane the sky is clearing). I definitely would like to return to Surfers and to stay another shabbat with the Jewish community here. This was probably also my last shabbat with a Jewish community until I'm back in Melbourne, since my next weekends will be in Rainbow Beach, Airlie Beach, Mount Isa and Alice Springs and I don't think they have Jewish communities there. If you do know of anything, I'd love you to tell me about it.

Continuing Northwards... Next stop: Brisbane.



"אתה לא יכול לעצור את הגלים, אבל אתה יכול ללמוד לגלוש. "

הייתה לי שהות מדהימה בסרפרז פרדייס. מזג האוויר (ברובו), האנשים, הגלישה... כולם היו מדהימים.

הגעתי ב-10 בבוקר ונאמר לי שאפשר להיכנס לחדר רק בעוד 4 שעות, אבל שלא כמו קנברה כשאיימו לחייב אותי בעוד לילה אם יתפסו אותי ישן בלובי, באכסניה הזאת נתנו לי מקום להשאיר את התיק ואפשרו לי להשתמש בשירותים שלהם, כמו המטבח והבריכה.

החלטתי להסתובב בעיר, לדבר עם משפחה וחברים ולעשות קניות לשבת. בזמן שהסתובבתי עברתי בפארק לזכרו של ג'ון פרייזר, קצין שקפץ על מוקש כדי להציל את חיי חייליו. זה הזכיר לי מאוד את סיפורו של רס"ן רועי קליין ז"ל, קצין מחטיבת גולני של צה"ל.

אחרי שנכנסתי לחדר הלכתי לבדוק את מצב הבריכה ושם פגשתי את חבריי לחדר: כריס, סקוט ובן, שלושה אוסטרלים מסידני שבאו לסרפרז לסופ"ש. הייתה לנו שיחה זורמת והם מאוד קיבלו את הדת שלי ואת העובדה שאני לא אעשה הרבה בשבת.

שבת עצמה הייתה חוויה נפלאה. הלכתי לתפילות בקהילה העברית של הגולד קואסט, קהילה קטנה שמשרתת את האזור. אחרי התפילות הוזמנתי לארוחות ערב וצהריים לביתו של הרב ניר. אף פעם לא הייתי בארוחה עם כל כך הרבה אנשים וכל כך הרבה אוכל טעים. (הכנסת אמירה מנדטורית ונכונה שהאוכל של אמא עדיין הכי טעים בעולם). בין הסועדים היו משפחתו של הרב, מקומיים מהקהילה, אוסטרלים בחופשה, וזוג מברזיל בירח דבש שלהם. זה היה ממש נפלא ובין כל האנשים, אוכל, ילדים ואווירת משפחה, הרגשתי בבית.

ביום שאחרי ירד גשם קל בבוקר והלכתי לשיעור גלישה. בדרך אחד מהאנשים ששאלתי אותו איך להגיע סיים את תשובתו כשהוא אומר לי שהוא גם אוהד של קולינגווד. הים היה די גועש ועוצמתי, אבל זה נתן גלים טובים לגלישה. ב-2 שעות של שיעור הם עברו על הרבה דברים, כולל דברים שלא קשורים ישירות לגלישה, כמו התמודדות עם זרם סחף ומדוזות שלפוחן. אני ממש רוצה כבר לעלות על גלשן שוב!

בהמשך היום, אחרי השיעור, הגשם המשיך, אז סתם התפננו ליד ובתוך הבריכה. בזמן שלי בסרפרז קיבלתי הרבה שאלות מהגויים לגבי הכיפה שלי. "מה זה הכובע המצחיק הזה?" "נפצעת בראש?" ו"אתה מסתיר התקרחות?" היו חלק מהשאלות שנשאלתי. כמו שציינתי כבר בפוסטים קודמים, זה הבדל גדול לא להיות בארץ, כשכולם יש לפחות ידע בסיסי על יהדות. זה במידה רבה היה ניפוץ בועה בשבילי.

בערב הגשם התחיל לרדת חזק מאוד לשעה רצופה ואז המשיך בטפטוף קל. השמיים עדיים אפורים ומעוננים, אבל אני מקווה שזה ישתפר בקרוב. (עריכה: בזמן שאני כותב ומתקרב לבריסבן העננים מתפזרים). אני בהחלט רוצה לחזור בעתיד לסרפרז ולהישאר עוד שבת עם הקהילה היהודית פה. זו גם כנראה הייתה השבת האחרונה שלי עם קהילה יהודית עד שאני אחזור למלבורן, כפי שהסופ"שים הבאים שלי יהיו בריינבו ביץ', איירלי ביץ', מאונט אייזה ואליס ספרינגס ואני לא חושב שיש שם קהילות יהודיות. אם אתם מכירים משהו אני אשמח לשמוע.

וממשיך צפונה... תחנה הבאה: בריסבן.

No comments:

Post a Comment